Student voice is greatly valued at Melland High School; the establishment of the student leader group earlier in the year has provided a forum for young people to be genuinely listened to and contribute to developments and activities in the school such as:
- The academy consultation process.
- Responsibility for taking students from other schools around our own school
- Making presentations to the IMPACT group
- Fulfilling a specific role on the parent/carer information day and the summer festival
- Making suggestions as to how the student planner can be improved.
Students speak with confidence and can articulate clearly their feelings about being a member of the group “I feel more like an adult“ and “I feel honoured and proud“.
The student leader group promotes student independence, capitalising on opportunities for them to take responsibility for themselves and the things they are doing. Developing a range of life skills such as self-organisation, punctuality, being good role models, communication and social skills.